Starting from a pedestrian tunnel underneath the rail line close to Artarmon Station, which is decorated with colourful murals, a short walk through a pleasantly wooded corridor next to the train line leads us to the oval. There are some sculptures of acorns near the oval. The path continues to join the cycleway/walking track through Naremburn.
Artarmon is named after Ardthelmon Castle (pronounced Art-e-mon), the Irish home of William Gore (1765-1845) who was Provost-Marshal under Governor Bligh in the Rum Rebellion of 1808. Gore was granted 150 acres in 1810 from the present day St Leonards to Artarmon Station. In 1869 at the request of Council, the NSW Government set aside 140 acres of the land as a public reserve; now only 19 acres remain. The remnant bushland in this reserve contains distinctive flora where Wianamatta Shale soils meet Hawkesbury Sandstone soils. In 1913 the reserve was dedicated as a park under the care, control and management of Willoughby Council.