Beauchamp Park is our local park, situated in the upper park of the Scotts Creek sub-catchment. There is a sports oval here which is also used by many dog owners exercising their dogs in the afternoon. The area south of the park has a playground and many interesting flowering plants.
Many developments have occurred at the site during the last 150 years. The area was heavily wooded when clearing first began in 1864. Early uses were for farming and a slaughteryard (1864-1896) before it was purchased by the government and proclaimed a public park in 1899. Further clearing occurred, and both native and exotic trees and shrubs were planted but the drainage works, levelling construction of the oval, pavilion and other facilities didn’t occur until the late 1920s. The park is shady and cool, containing a significant number of large old remnant trees from the original Blue Gum High Forest vegetation growing in the fertile clay soils produced by Wianamatta Shale landscapes.