This is a tour through various Civic Heritage Commemorative Plaques that have been installed in order to commemorate the heritage of Willoughby. We started at the site of the Willoughby Tram Terminus (now a very pink pharmacy!), and walk through some heritage buildings along Penshurst St. Along the way, we stopped at the art deco Baby Health Centre, Pommy Lodge, Laurelbank Cottage, fire station, arts centre, public school, Trersillian, Telford Lane, Butt Park, the tannery (now bus depot), Albert Chowne Memorial Hall, Drill Hall and ended at George Brain Lane.
The Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House is a living museum of social and political history, located in a nationally listed heritage building in Parkes, Canberra. The Old Parliament House, formerly known as the Provisional Parliament House, was the seat of the Parliament of Australia from 1927 to 1988. Because of it’s temporary nature, it didn’t have sufficient space for all the members and a number of extensions were made over the years. It was almost torn down when the new Parliament House was finally built but was preserved for its historical significance and is now operated as a museum.
Blundells Cottage is a heritage-listed six-roomed stone cottage located on the northern shore of Lake Burley Griffin. It was built by George Campbell for his ploughman William Ginn and was subsequently inhabited by Flora and George Blundell. It continued to be occupied until 1958 well after Canberra became the capital of Australia despite having no electricity. It is now a museum.
This is a historic house built in 1927 by Harry Calthorpe in a Spanish Mission style and remains relatively unchanged. There are some nice flowers here in the garden, but they are not part of the official Floriade displays.
The Kambah Community Garden is located near the Kambah District Park which also has remnants of the old Kambah homestead. Unfortunately, the garden was closed when we visited, but we did speak to two community gardeners just as they were leaving. We also had a quick look at the historic woolshed that used to be part of the homestead.